This beetroot salad with goat’s cheese and walnuts is so indulgent and full of flavour, however, it is still incredibly light and filling. The whole beetroot is roasted with balsamic and thyme, then combine all the other ingredients for a gorgeous side salad. Here I have added a tin of lentils to turn it into a meal.
Beetroots are in season from winter through to spring. If you are only used to the tinned variety like me, try fresh beetroot for something new.
By roasting the beetroot with balsamic there is a sweetness to this salad that offsets the tang of the dressing. Some indulgence comes from the goat’s cheese and the walnuts. This salad with the lentils still comes in around 250 calories with these measurements.
What are the health benefits of beetroot?
Beetroot contains the vitamin betaine, which is used in certain treatments of depression. Cooked beetroot has approximately twice as much betaine as raw beetroot. Beetroot also contains folate and potassium, cleanse your liver and has anti-cancerous properties! So many reasons to get stuck in!
Beet vs Beetroot
What is the difference?
The Beetroot is the bulb at the bottom of the beet plant that is used for roasting pickling and eating! The Beet is the plant itself, consisting of green leaves, from which the beetroot grows from.
Which cheese goes with beetroot?
Cheeses that are more robust and full of sharpness are ideal to pair with the woodiness of the beetroot. If you are looking for an alternative to goats cheese, such as Gorgonzola or Roquefort are ideal. Feta and blue vintage also works.
Beetroot Salad with Goat’s Cheese and Walnuts
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 4 beetroot, raw left whole
- Handful of thyme, leaves removed from stalk
- 4 handfuls of rocket
- 70 grams of goat’s cheese
- 50 grams of walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Olive Oil spray
- 1/2 cup of No-Fat Greek/Natural Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- Optional: 1 tin of lentils 400 grams
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Cut the tops and tails off the beetroot and scrub the skin. Place in a piece of foil and dress with a spray of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and scatter thyme. Wrap in foil and bake for an hour.
- Toss in a bowl rocket and lentils (if using them)
- Whisk yoghurt, lemon, cumin and coriander. Season if you like, and alter dressing to your taste. It should be tangy!
- When beetroot is cooked, cool and then cut into 8 wedges.
- Scatter on rocket, and then top with cheese and walnuts.
- Pour over the dressing just before serving. I left it on top but you could mix it through for a side salad.
Make twice as much and keep dressing separate to have for lunch the next day! Great salad to take to a BBQ or for Christmas day.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 250 approx