This salad would serve 6 – 8 as a side. I served it with some spiced grilled lamb.
Before you look at the ingredients and see freekah and freak out :), I found a box at my local Coles. All of these ingredients should be easy to get, the first time you make this salad it will be quite pricey, but you will then have enough ingredients to make it many times over. Try your local market for better prices of grains and seeds to bring down the cost.
Grain Salad with Yogurt Dressing and Pomegranate
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup of chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 to 1/2 a red onion (depending on preference)
- 1 cup of cooked Freekeh (it was approximately 1/3 cup of dry Freekah, cooked by packet instructions).
- 1/2 cup of cooked lentils (I used tinned to save time).
- 2 tablespoons of toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of toasted slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon of baby capers chopped
- 1/4 cup of currants
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, ground
- Drizzle of honey
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Cook the Freekeh to the instructions on the packet and cool.
- Mix Yogurt, Cumin and Honey to make the dressing. Taste and add more honey if needed.
- Toast the seeds and almonds in a dry pan.
- Mix all ingredients (except Dressing & Pomegranate) to make the salad.
- Serve salad with yoghurt on top and scatter pomegranate seeds on top.
- Serving Size: 6 Serves
- Calories: 190